The owners of Sweetmans Hall in Pinner are opening it to the public on Saturday 29th November to raise money for the new Heath Robinson Museum, supported by the Pinner Association.
Geoff and Gill Atkinson, whose sensitive restoration of the building gained a Harrow Heritage Trust award in 2008, have previously opened their home as part of the London Open House, but this year they decided to help a local cause.
‘We are so excited by the prospect of the Heath Robinson Museum being built next to West House,’ commented Gill. ‘Our sons Freddie and Bertie both attended West Lodge Schools, and we love the park. Heath Robinson was such a talented artist and we look forward to having our own museum of his work.’
First records of a property on the Sweetmans Hall site date from 1393, but the present house was built in the time of Henry VIII, comprising a three bay timber framed hall with an open smoke bay at one end. Entry will be by timed ticket only, to preserve the fabric of the house. Geoff Atkinson and local historian Pat Clarke will lead adult tours, and Judy Rackham, teacher at West Lodge School, will lead two family tours.